Monday, September 14, 2009

ENOUGH! The Romana Acosta Banuelos Story

Wow! This is one incredible woman and one very good rags-to-riches story! I went to an EXCITe training this weekend and was told her story by Angel Torres, the first Shaklee Master Coordinator in Puerto Rico (who was told he couldn't achieve this in such a small place). Do you know who she is?? Keep reading.


Janet L. Boyd tells the story this way: From a poor family of Mexican-American agricultural workers, Romana Banuelos went on to have her signature affixed to every piece of paper currency printed in the U.S. from 1971 to 1974. After helping her mother build an empanada business in Mexico during the 1930s, Banuelos returned to the United States in 1947, and established a tortilla factory that became a $5 million processor of Mexican food. In 1964, she founded the Pan American National Bank, the only U.S. bank owned and operated by Mexican Americans. In 1969, she established a college scholarship program for Mexican-American students. And in 1971, Banuelos was appointed U.S. Treasurer by Richard Nixon. She was the first Mexican-American woman to hold such a high government post.


"My mother...taught us how to live in any place and work with what we have." - Romana Banuelos


Angel Torres told us about her in more detail. Living in poverty, Romana frequently asked her husband for money for essentials like food and clothes for the children. He constantly told her no. At one point Romana got fed up and said, "ENOUGH!" Now, I want you to think about this for a moment. Not just speaking the word "enough", but getting to the boiling point and yelling, "ENOUGH!" Try it...really yell it out! I know I have been at that point many times where I thought I had had enough, but it was not actually my tipping point, the point where I am not going to take it any more and I have had ENOUGH and I am going to do something about it!


You may be recalling a time in your life when you have been there. You may be think.....I am there RIGHT NOW! If you are, what are you going to do about it. Yes, DO about it. Yelling it isn't going to change the situation. You must take action. If you don't take action, I think you are not really at your tipping point. I have been there....you want to do something about it, but you never do....you haven't had ENOUGH!


I challenge you to think about this. If you have had ENOUGH, take action. Be like Romana in her rags-to-riches story. MAKE IT HAPPEN! Dr. Forrest C. Shaklee said, "Your future is what you decide to make it."


The answer to my rags-to-riches story is http://www.mylittlegreenleaf.com/.


Bless you!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for recounting the incredible story of Romana Acosta Banuelos. Mrs. B is an inspiration to not only to Mexican-Americans but to anyone who has had the dream of achievement.

    I have told Mrs. B's story thousands of times. And every time I tell it I am re-inspired to go out and seize the day.

    Mrs. B's legacy will not only include the rags to riches struggle but also the support she provided to the under-represented once she "made it."

    The great thing about Mrs. B is that at 85 years of age, she has not quit. She continues to fight the good fight.

    If you are ever in East Los Angeles I personally invite you to visit Pan American Bank, AKA, the House the Mrs. B built!

    Thank you again.

    Best,

    Jesse Torres
    President and CEO
    Pan American Bank
    3626 East First Street
    East Los Angeles, CA 90063
    www.PanAmericanBank.us
    "California's Oldest Latino-Owned Bank"

    ReplyDelete